UK Student Visa 2023: Requirements, Process, Fees
UK Student Visa 2023: Requirements, Process, Fees
The United Kingdom has established itself as a renowned destination for offering high-quality education, boasting some of the most prestigious universities and academic institutions globally. Studying in the UK grants students access to a diverse range of academic programs, opportunities for research and innovation, and a thriving student community. With its rich history, vibrant culture, stunning landscapes, and connections to top employers and industries, the UK provides a unique and captivating study experience for international students.
To pursue studies in the UK, Indian students are provided with an opportunity by the UK Government. However, obtaining a UK student visa is a prerequisite. The specific visa required depends on factors such as age and the type of study program one wishes to pursue in the UK.
Table of contents
- Required Documents for Your UK Student Visa
- Online Application Process for Your UK Student Visa
- Dos and Don’ts for UK Student Visa Applicants
- UK Student Visa Fee
- Accepted Modes of Payment for UK Student Visa
- English Language Requirements for UK Student Visa
- Biometric Residence Permit for UK Student Visa Holders
- Helpful Tips for Your UK Visa Application
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about UK Student Visa
It is advisable to plan your arrival in the UK based on the duration of your course. If your course lasts for six months or less, you can arrive in the UK up to 1 week before it starts. However, if your course is longer than six months, you can arrive up to 1 month before it begins.
To qualify for a UK student visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Hold an unconditional offer of a place on a course from a licensed sponsor, along with the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and the documents used to obtain the CAS.
- Provide a valid English language proficiency score.
- Demonstrate sufficient financial means to support yourself financially and cover your course fees.
Here’s an overview of the types of study visas and their application requirements:
|Visa name||Who it’s for||When to apply||Arrival in the UK|
Student Visa UK
Students aged 16 or over who have been offered a place in a course at a UK educational institution
Three months before the start of your course
Up to one week before if your course lasts six months or fewer. Up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months
*For detailed information, please visit the Gov.UK website
In order to meet the eligibility criteria for a UK student visa, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a recognized UK educational institution.
- Provide proof of acceptable English language proficiency by submitting valid scores from tests like IELTS.
- Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support yourself during your studies, including payment for your course fees. The required amount for maintenance funds is approximately £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London, and £1,023 per month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London.
Documents required for your UK student visa
When submitting your visa application, you will generally be required to provide the following documents:
- Valid passport or travel documentation.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover your living expenses throughout your course.
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and the documents used to obtain the CAS.
- Recent passport-sized color photographs.
- Mandatory tuberculosis screening for applicants from South Asian countries.
- Assessment documentation.
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate, if applicable.
In addition to the above, you may need to submit additional documents if you fall into any of the following categories:
- Not a citizen of the country from which you are applying.
- Under 18 years of age.
- Have dependents or family members accompanying you.
*Please note that these are the basic requirements, speak with your Urvi Technologies counsellor for a detailed list of documents required for visa processing
In the event that any of your supporting documents are not in English, it is necessary to obtain translations. Each translated document must include the date, translator’s name and signature, and a confirmation stating that it is an accurate translation of the original document.
Applying for your UK student visa online
To apply for your student visa, you must complete the online application process through the official Gov.UK website of the British Government. It is possible to apply up to 6 months prior to your planned travel date to the UK. It is important to note that your application date is determined by the payment of your application fee.
How can we help with your UK student visa applications?
If you are a student of Urvi Technologies and have received an offer letter from one of our partner institutions in the UK, we can provide guidance and support throughout the entire process. We will ensure that you are well-informed about the latest visa requirements and conditions, and assist you in preparing the necessary documents for your visa application.
Our team of experts will direct you to the official websites and to authorised immigration representatives to ensure you have the latest application forms and guidance. To reduce the hassle, we can also help to certify, translate and courier your documents.
Register with General Practioner
Overstay your visa
Open a bank account
Get a part-time job
Change your course
Sort out the transportation for college
UK student visa fee
Visa fee depends upon the visa that you will apply for:
In case any of your supporting documents are in a language other than English, it is necessary to have them translated. Each translated document must be dated and include the translator’s name, signature, and a confirmation affirming its accuracy as a translation of the original document.
Student visa UK
It costs £363 as the application fee for the visa from outside the UK. Also, you need to pay £490 to extend or switch student visas from inside the UK.
*Please always check the official website for the latest fee, or check with your Urvi Technologies counsellor
The payment for the visa application can be made through the following methods:
- Online mode using MasterCard or Visa card.
- Payment through a demand draft to be submitted at the visa application center or selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank.
- Cash payment at the visa application center or selected branches of Standard Chartered Bank.
English language requirements
Typically, universities in the UK have a minimum IELTS requirement of band 6. However, pathway and foundation courses may accept an overall score of 5.5. In certain cases, UK institutions may offer IELTS waivers based on students’ English scores in their 12th standard examinations.
Biometric residence permit
As a part of your application, it is necessary to obtain a biometric residence permit (BRP) from the UKVI. To do so, you will be required to schedule an appointment with the UKVI to have your fingerprints scanned and a digital photograph taken of your face.
Tips for your UK student visa
It is advisable to avoid delaying your visa appointment until the last minute, as it typically takes a minimum of 3 working weeks to receive a student visa.
Initiate your visa process at least six months in advance.
Ensure that you possess the Certificate of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your university before commencing the visa application process.
Before applying, verify that the institution you intend to study at is licensed.
If you require any additional information or assistance regarding your UK student visa, our team of international education experts is available to provide guidance. You can visit your nearest Urvi Technologies office or fill out the inquiry form, and we will promptly get in touch with you.
Some non-government scholarships are also available for you to study in Canada
|S.no.||Name of the scholarship||Description|
Anne Vallee Ecological Fund
Trudeau Scholarships and Fellowships
*This is an indicative list, speak with your Urvi Technologies counsellor for details and best available options suited to your profile
To be eligible for a UK student visa, you must have received an offer to study at a UK educational institution that possesses a valid Tier 4 sponsor license. Additionally, you must demonstrate sufficient funds to support yourself financially throughout your studies and exhibit proficiency in the English language, meeting the required speaking, reading, writing, and comprehension levels.
It is necessary to prove your ability to speak, read, write, and comprehend English at the required level for your chosen course. Typically, this entails passing an approved English language proficiency test such as IELTS.
The processing time for a student visa application can vary depending on your location and the current workload of the processing center. It is advisable to submit your application as early as possible, as the process may take several weeks or even months to complete.
In general, it is usually permissible to work part-time while studying and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as summer holidays. However, it is important to note that there might be limitations on the type of employment allowed, and you should review the specific conditions of your visa to ensure compliance.
To meet the financial requirements for your UK student visa, you must demonstrate sufficient funds to cover both your tuition fees and living expenses throughout your study period. The specific amount you need to show will vary depending on the duration of your course and the location of your studies within the UK.